About Us

Southeast (Gulf Coast), Texas, United States

Thursday, March 13, 2008

THE RALLY in Perry, GA – Wed/Thur

We left Red Bay about 5:30PM on Tuesday, and drove about 189 miles. We ended up on a Wal-Mart parking lot in Pell City, AL, about 70 miles east of Birminham. That gave us about 220 miles to drive on Wednesday to reach Perry, GA.

We left Pell City about 10:00AM (having lost an hour entering the Eastern Time Zone), and drove through the middle of Atlanta, GA at noon. We stopped at a rest area near Macon, GA to dump and we had also hoped to take on fresh water. However, the state had the water cut off………… probably a freeze protection move. We stopped a little down the road at a Camping World store to both check on a WAVE heater for Steve Allgire, and to get a tank full of water.

With all that accomplished, we finally arrived on the Wal-Mart parking lot in Perry, and parked for the night with about 10 other campers and as many 18 wheel truck. They had “No Truck Parking” signs posted, but you could not tell it!!

We had stopped at a Cracker Barrel Restaurant for lunch, and both Patsy and Sue had leftovers, so for dinner, Mark and I visited a KFC next to the parking lot, and had chicken for dinner. We all went to bed early because we planned to get up early Thursday morning to be in line when they opened up at 7:00AM for parking at THE RALLY.

We got up about 6:00AM, and arrived at the parking area about 6:30AM, expecting to be the only ones there, but one guy was already there!! By 7:00AM, there were about 10 rigs in line.

We got in and parked fairly easy, and got finished with hooking up to electricity, leveling the rigs, and putting out the slides. Mark also put out his internet satellite, and we had internet and went on line for a short while………. first time since Tuesday afternoon at Red Bay.

Even though this was an ‘early bird’ parking day, the seminars started at 10:00AM. We went to the registration building when it opened at 9:00AM, and then went to some 10:00AM seminars. We pretty much went to different ones. When they were over at 11:30AM, we returned to the rigs for lunch and some email reading. I didn’t take a lot of pictures today, but here are some at the registration building:

We went back for a variety of seminars for the 1:00 to 2:30 time slot, and then while Mark and I went to the motor home exhibits (which opened at 3:00PM), the wives went to a seminar on “Making Dinner for Two in 15 Minutes”. We then returned to the rigs and grilled some fajitas while Patsy made a peach cobbler. We had dinner, but the cobbler was not quite ready at 7:00PM when the nightly entertainment began. It was a quartet called “The Vogues”, who performed mostly 60’s songs. The have a web site:


The lighting at the performance was not very conducive to taking pictures, but here a shot to give you the sense of what it was:

After the performance, we returned to the Bus for cobbler…….. and it was really good!

No comments: