About Us

Southeast (Gulf Coast), Texas, United States

Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Portable Computer Table

We use our laptop a lot when on the road. I follow several RV bulletin boards, keep up with email, espacially pictures and videos of our grandkids, paying bills, checking weather, etc. At times, I have had to sit in my driver's seat with the laptop on the steering wheel of the motorhnome to get the best connection to WIFI (this has happened a couple of times at Flying J), even though I prefer to work while laying on the bed in the back of the motorhome. Working out of the driver's seat also works well when my wife is using the dinette table for extra room while cooking a meal or baking something.

On one of the bulletin boards that I like to follow, Woodall's Open Roads Forum, there was a discussion about a laptop table for the steering wheel. I had been wanting to make a better support for working off the steering wheel, but did not like any concepts that I had come up with for mounting. One of the respondents suggesting cutting some 'quarter moon boards', and it became clear to me what I wanted to do.

In case others want to make one, here are some pictures of my project. I used a scrap piece of 3/4" plywood that was 12 1/2" wide by 4 ft. ...... therefore, my surface was that high! I determined the width based on my steering wheel being 15 1/2" OD, and adding 2" on each end to give some width to the 'quarter moon pieces'. Final dimensions are 12 1/2" x 19 1/2".

The first picture shows the basic cutouts that I made .

I assembled the pieces using glue and screws to mount the 'quarter moon pieces' under the table top, rounding the corners of the assembled piece, and attaching a support at the bottom of the table top. I then stained it to match the interior of my motorhome, and followed with three coats of polyurethane.

Here's the finished table sitting on my wifes dining room table with a mirror under it to show the top and bottom. Note: Those are drinking glasses holding the table above the mirror.



Here's a picture of the table sitting on my steering wheel. If fits nicely, and I really like the simplicity of the design.




.......... and here's a picture of the laptop sitting in place on the table.


We leave on our winter 2006 trip in one week....... and we are ready to go!

1 comment:

Becky said...

I like your computer table. Just don't try to use it while you are driving!!! Have fun on your trip and bring us back some information, please.