About Us

Southeast (Gulf Coast), Texas, United States

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Savannah Georgia–Day 2

Friday morning we decided to go back to the historic district and the downtown area during the morning, and then head to Tybee Island in the afternoon, and finish the day off with a local seafood dinner. 

After getting familiar with the area yesterday, the day went much smoother.  Back at the historic area, we checked out some of the shops and the local crafts.


We came upon this guy that was making ‘roses’ out palm tree leaves.   Pretty good detail!!


We walked through several of the shops and watched some candy making.  We saw them making pecan pralines, and got a lot of samples!  We also watched the making of salt water taffy.


After a while, we moved to the downtown area.   The first stop was a market section where the streets were closed and activity going on.  We sampled some more pralines and cookies!!IMG_0043


I am not a wine (well, maybe whine!!) person, but I did enjoy the following sign……… and putting it here for my California friends from Quartzsite!!


Patsy wanted find Paula Deen’s restaurant, Lady and Sons,and we found it, along with a gift shop just down the street…….


We decided that it was too early to eat, so Patsy just visited the gift shop.  Somebody is getting a gift from there!!  

While we were downtown, we rode around and found a lot azaleas in bloom……..


In the afternoon, we decided to drive the 18 miles to Tybee Island.  The city of Tybee Island turned out to be a small and quiet beach resort town  There was a lack of the big ‘beachy’ stores, and it just seemed to be a nice place to have a beach home and to get away for some quiet time.  Here are a few beach pictures…….


To wrap up our day, we decided to have dinner at Uncle Bubba’s Oyster House restaurant.  This restaurant is owned and operated by Paula Deen’s brother.  I had blackened fish and shrimp, and Patsy had a grilled shrimp platter. The food was really good!!  Here are some pictures of Uncle Bubba’s place…..


The restaurant is large, and they evening have outside seating which appears to be used for parties also.  Note the ‘boat’ bench below…..



You can also see the long pier in the background.  These are very prominent in this marshy area.  People build the long piers to have access to the water ways behind their homes.  There is another long pier in the following picture taken from the restaurant.



More moss-filled trees from Uncle Bubba’s “backyard”……..


That takes care of Friday.  As reported below, Saturday was a ‘work’ day.  In addition to the projects discussed, I also tore into the driver’s door panel to access the ‘keyless entry control’ module.  Our keyless remotes stopped working in Little Rock, and it is a big inconvenience!!  I found the module, and managed to put one on order with a Honda place in Brunswick.  It will arrive on Tuesday morning, and I will install it.

We finished up the day by washing the Honda……… to get the rest of the Little Rock bird poop off of it.  

Tomorrow morning, we head for Brunswick for the TRVN rally for a week.

No comments: