About Us

Southeast (Gulf Coast), Texas, United States

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Red Bay and Repairs

On Monday morning, we left the Walmart parking lot on the west side of Atlanta about 8:00AM, and drove the 350 miles to Red Bay..   Since we ran the Olympian catalytic heater during the night (the temperature was in the low 30’s), we slept with a roof vent cracked open and the bedroom windows at our heads open about a 1/2 inch.  That is probably why Patsy woke up on Monday morning from severe congestion….. allergies from pine and cedar!

When she gets congested with allergies, she has drainage down her throat and into her stomach.  This normally makes her nauseated, and this day, she had it really bad.  She began to throw up, and then dry heaving.  This occurred pretty much the whole way from Atlanta to Red Bay.

By the time I got the Bus parked at the Red Bay campground, she was feeling very bad and had some chest and arm pains that worried her.  We decided she needed to see a doctor, so we went to the Emergency Room at the Red Bay Hospital.  With the chest and arm pains, they were concerned about heart problems, and after doing EKG tests and getting blood for cardiac enzymes testing, she was admitted.  During this time, I was also in contact with our own doctor……. our daughter, Deanne, an ENT Surgeon.  She was confirming that they were doing the right tests and making the right choices, since it is such a small town hospital without much professional staff.

Patsy was admitted for at least the night, with release decisions based on further testing.  To shorten the story, the tests were all negative, and she was released at 8:00PM on Tuesday night.   Here is a picture of her in the hospital……

Patsy at RB Hospital

Our appointment for getting some damage that occurred to the Bus when I lost an argument with some landscape rocks in a state park last November was also for Tuesday, and we were supposed to have the Bus at the body shop by 7:00AM.  I got up early, hooked up the car and drove to the shop and get the Bus lined up with the shop. 

I then ran by the hospital and confirmed that Patsy was OK, and we had a meeting with the local doctor.  She confirmed that things were looking good, and that she would probably be released on Tuesday afternoon! 

Since the Bus had a couple of other problems that Tiffin would not be able to check out because the Bus was in a private paint shop, Deaton's Body Shop.

The TV in the bedroom was having color problems, so I removed it and took it to the local supplier at about 10:00AM.   I left my phone number, and they called about 2:00PM to say it was ready.  I picked it up, and took it back to the Bus.  One of the body shop guys helped me hook up all of the cables in the back while I held it, then we installed it back on the wall.  One job done!!

We also had been having problems with the electric slides on the driver’s side.  Through discussions with the Tiffin Technicians over the phone a month ago, it was suspected that we had a weak solenoid.  I went to the Service Area, and cornered a Technician that I knew and had him show me where the solenoid was installed on the Bus, and got the part number.  I then went to the Tiffin parts store and bought a new one that I will install when we return to Victoria.  Two jobs done!!

Patsy has been wanted another light in the bedroom closet…… on her side.  While at the parts store, I got the part number, and bought a new light fixture to be installed in Victoria.  Three jobs done!!

Lastly, we decided that we wanted to get a 12v ceiling fan installed in the bedroom.  I was able to contact Brannon Hutcheson of Custom RV in Red Bay, and he is going to work us in when the painted is complete…. probably on Friday.    Fourth job at least scheduled!!

During all of this running around on Tuesday, I was able to visit with Patsy and keep tabs on her progress, and get the insurance adjuster to settle with the paint shop.   Mostly, what Patsy did was sleep, because she did not get much on Monday night.

Here are some pictures of the Bus body damage, and the repairs sequence.  They appear to be doing a good job.  Bruce Deaton has a very good reputation on the Tiffin Owners web site, and is why we made a stop here.

Here are pictures of the damage taken in my driveway at home…..

Rock Scrape 001

Rock Scrape 002

Rock Scrape 003

Here are sequential pictures of the repair (two days so far)……

Deaton's Shop 003

Deaton's Shop 004

Deaton's Shop 010

The temperatures in Red Bay are in the high 30’s and low 40’s during the day and dipping to 20 at night.  Because of this, we are “camping” in the paint shop stall.  Our “campsite” is behind the third door from the left behind the black pickup in the following picture of Deaton’s Paint Shop….

Deaton's Shop 005

However, it is not a bad place to be.  The temperature in the Bus has held at 70 degrees during the night, and we are comfy.  No TV (antenna or satellite), but we have been watching movies that we have been carrying.  The man-door in the middle is left unlocked for us to come and go, but after we come in for the night, I lock it!!!

Here is a peak at our “site”, taken with a flash because it is pitch dark with the doors closed and lights out.  I have to leave some of my exterior Bus lights on……..

Deaton's Shop 002

Deaton's Shop 001

On Wednesday morning, we left to get some breakfast, and when we left, here is what the sign on the bank showed……….

Deaton's Shop 006

Deaton's Shop 007

We later drove over to Tupelo, MS for some shopping and lunch.  It looks like Thursday will be a paint day!!


Anonymous said...

Glad to hear Patsy is recovering, we will be praying for you both. Barbara and I will sure miss all 3 of you guys this March in Yuma. We are in Lake Havasue AZ at the annual Winterblast fire works conference (our daughter is a pyro). Our love to Patsy
Tom and Barbara Westerfield

Connie Esparza said...

Ouchie! We did not know you had an ouchie on the coach!

Hope Patsy feels better! Glad all was negative! Take care!