About Us

Southeast (Gulf Coast), Texas, United States

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Wednesday & Thursday -- Red Bay Alabama

On Tuesday morning, I met with Bob Tiffin to discuss the weight issues that I think are present with the Bus design. He admitted that they were heavy, but since he warranties the chassis for 10 years, he isn't going to overload. We discussed some of the items that make it heavy that I don't intend to order, like the hydro hot system and the residual refrigerator with the extra 4 batteries. In the end, he offered to find a rig similar to what I want to order, have a guy pick me up, and we take it to the certified scales to have it weighed with me present. We did, and I am not content with the weight issue, and we are proceeding.

In the afternoon, Patsy and I went to Sherman, AL to visit Karen, our salesperson at Sherman RV, to discuss refreshing our price on the coach. Up to now, we had only talked on the phone, and she was very pleasant to work with. She is going to re-bid our cost, and send me an email. We were going to drive a 40ft coach, but it would not start!!!

On the way back to Red Bay, Patsy and I stopped at Elvis Presley's birthplace and museum in Tupelo, and did a quick tour. Here are some pictures (Patsy at a fountain, Statue of Elvis at 13, and the house that Elvis grew up in):
When I had left Bob's office on Wednesday, I asked him if Patsy and I could come back and take a picture with him. He was pleased to do it. We did not have time on Wednesday, so we went in early Thursday morning, and met with him. Patsy did not go with me the day before, so it was the first time that she had met him.

While we were with him, we mentioned a couple of items that still concerned me. We discussed the hydraulic (HWH) vs electric leveler systems. He convinced me to go with the electric.... which was my choice going in. He had the same rationale, so that was good.

Just before going to the factory, I got on the Tiffin owners network, and read about an owner with a Spartan Chassis (my choice) that had a "wandering down the highway" problem. Several other owners on the network also chimed in about similar problems, therefore, it got my attention. Bob was very familiar with the issue and the owner, and he himself had driven the coach. He did not see a problem. He told that if I was still concerned, he would get the same guy from yesterday to take me out to drive a 40ft motorhome on each chassis. We accepted his offer, and ended up driving the two motorhomes about 30 miles each. In the end, I liked the Spartan chassis much better, as well as the design of it. It was a very good experience. Patsy could also feel the ride difference........ but neither had a wander problem.

We did get pictures. I took one of a small desk that had Bob's wife's name on it in the side of his office, and his desk, as well as one of the three of us. Bob Tiffin seems to be everything that the 'legend' says!!!

Our current plans are to leave Red Bay on Friday morning, and head toward the Blue Ridge Parkway, and the Smoky Mountains. Not sure when I will have WIFI again, but will post then!

2 comments:

rlkllk said...

So have you purchased a new motorhome yet. IF so when do we get to on a ride. :P

Richard and Patsy King said...

Since we are RV professionals, we are not allowed to disclose that kind of confidential information. However, I fee the need to remind you that we have a standard for whom ever might ever ride in any motorhome!!!