About Us

Southeast (Gulf Coast), Texas, United States

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Matthew’s Road Trip – Day 2

On Friday morning, I woke up at about 3:30am from a lot of noise on the Wal-Mart parking lot where we parked for the night Thursday.  I looked outside, and saw the “Black Friday” shoppers filling up the lot, so I decided I would get on the road before I got blocked in.  Patsy and Matthew continued to sleep, and I took off, as the streets in Denham Springs, LA where really coming to life!!

After about an hour, I pulled over to check on Matthew and Patsy.  Patsy was getting one of her bad headaches, and Matthew opened his eyes.  We asked him if he wanted to sleep, or go up front and ‘drive’ with Poppaw.  He jumped out of bed and ran to the front seat.  He and I drove until about 7:00am when we pulled off the interstate at a McDonalds for breakfast.  He got the 3 hotcakes and sausage, and woofed down all three pancakes!!

We got back on the road and drove until we got to the Flying “J” truck stop at Jackson, MS, and pulled over to get fuel.  That was about 10:00am.  After getting back on I-55, we took the Natchez Trace ramp just north of Jackson, and drove the Trace for the next 145 miles to Tupelo.  Here’s Matthew at the Trace sign:

Matt's Roadtrip Day 2 002

In the earlier hours, Matthew and I continued to play our game of seeing who spotted big trucks in the on-coming lane first.  The Trace does not allow commercial vehicles, so Matthew got bored, and played with his game box.  Patsy finally felt good enough to get up, and took these pictures:

Matt's Roadtrip Day 2 003

Matt's Roadtrip Day 2 006

We did see some ducks and deer along the trace.  At about 11:00am, Patsy switched seats with Matthew, and while laying and looking at library books, he quickly fell asleep.  We arrived in Tupelo about 12:30, and decided to visit the local Wal-Mart Supercenter for a few things before we headed to Red Bay.  Matthew was still asleep, but we woke him up and we all went into Wal-Mart.  The traffic on the streets was very heavy and parking around Wal-Mart was a real challenge.

We finished our shopping, and headed the last 45 miles to the Allegro campground in Red Bay, AL.  When we got there, we found a new campground sign:

Matt's Roadtrip Day 3 041

We also found the campground more empty than ever before.  Holidays, I guess, and surely by Sunday night, it will be full again.

Matt's Roadtrip Day 3 037

Matt's Roadtrip Day 3 038

Matt's Roadtrip Day 3 039

Matt's Roadtrip Day 3 040

After checking in, and before parking, we washed the bugs off the front of the Bus at the campground wash area.  Then we parked and set up.  It was nice to be settled after 850 miles in 2 days.  We cleaned up the Bus and ourselves and settled in.  Matthew watch a video before going to bed:

Matt's Roadtrip Day 2 007

Matt's Roadtrip Day 2 009

Matt's Roadtrip Day 2 011

Tomorrow, we will find Matthew a playground in town, and check out the other Tiffin’s in the campground!!

No comments: